From Ominous Events: The Horror Fests and Cons Database
CONTACT PERSON: Zack Carlson
LOCATION: Morgan, UT, USA
FILM SUBMISSION FEES AND DEADLINES:
EVENT DATES: June 27 - 29, 2008
EDITOR'S NOTE: This appears to be a one time event. I'm listing this as a vanished fest.
BEST WORST MOVIE and THE ALAMO ROLLING ROADSHOW are pleased to announce the most impossibly outrageous event in TROLL 2 history:
NILBOG INVASION - THE TROLL 2 CELEBRATION!!!
Believe it! Every conceivable person, film and creature in the entire TROLL 2 universe will be converging in NILBOG ITSELF (that’s Morgan, Utah…just a quick hop over from Salt Lake City) on June 27th – 29th, 2008 for an unprecedented and never-to-be-repeated onslaught of FILMS, FOOD and GOBLIN FUN from all over the world! This isn’t a convention…it’s 1000% ABSOLUTE TROLL 2 INSANITY!
WHY TROLL 2?
When a crew of Italian filmmakers and fledging Utah actors shot this ultra-low budget horror film in 1990, they had no idea that almost twenty years later they would be celebrated by fans worldwide for their ineptitude. Now, TROLL 2 has been widely deemed the Myspace generation’s ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW -the rare kind of entertainment that’s so hilariously incompetent on every level, it's strangely captivating. A corn-on-the-cob sex scene, pudgy potato-sack clad midgets, and a peculiar plot about evil vegetarian goblins attempting to transform a young boy’s family into edible plants offer unintentional laughs and… a new form of contagious entertainment.
TROLL 2’s underground resurgence is spreading like an infectious disease. Lead actor-turned-dentist George Hardy’s days of drilling cavities are met by nights of signing hundreds of autographs at record-setting revival screenings throughout the world. Admiring fans join together to champion TROLL 2 as one of their favorite films. Fan sites, music videos, dress-up dinner parties and even homage in one of the most successful video games, Sony Playstation’s Guitar Hero 2, are all unlikely byproducts celebrating a movie so inept, it’s being crowned the Best Worst Movie EVER MADE.
FILM SCREENINGS / SPECIAL EVENTS:
All screenings will be presented by the Alamo Rolling Roadshow, a mobile movie battallion of Austin’s Alamo Drafthouse Cinema that has traveled the country for years providing 35mm screenings on their immense drive-in sized screen! Almost all films will feature a cast introduction and Q&A!
(Dir. Claudio Fragasso aka “Drake Floyd”, 1990, 35mm, 95 min, PG-13)
– An ultra-rare second-time-anywhere-ever 35mm screening of the most neckbreakingly entertaining film in the history of trash cinema! This is the one that started The Infection and put Nilbog on the map, not to mention creating a rabid international legion of Goblins in Disguise! The ULTIMATE in no-brow excitement!
(Dir. John Carl Buechler, 1986, 35mm, 82 min, PG-13)
– Rare 35mm screening with director John Carl Buechler in attendance [subject to availability]! Though it admittedly doesn’t have all that much to do with TROLL 2, this was the celluloid behemoth that paved the way for all things TROLL! Diminutive threats to mankind abound in this fantastical pseudo-family adventure! As if that’s not enough, see Sonny Bono painfully transform into a magical forest!
THE CRAWLERS a.k.a. TROLL 3
(Dir. Joe D’Amato aka “David Hills”, 1990, 35mm, 91 min, R)
- First 35mm screening ANYWHERE EVER of this extremely unofficial entry in the nebulous TROLL canon, this non-Nilbogian vegetation-based adventure concerns evil radioactive trees that use their limbs to tear apart ours! Filmed by the legendary D’Amato under one of his many pseudonyms, this film may not feature a bevy of hungry goblins, but it certainly contains enough foresty weirdness to earn its place in the TROLL family, uh, tree.
QUEST FOR THE MIGHTY SWORD a.k.a. THE HOBGOBLIN a.k.a. TROLL 3: THE SWORD OF POWER
(Dir. Joe D’Amato aka “David Hills”, 1990, 94 min, PG-13)
- Incredibly rare screening of Joe D’Amato’s shoestring sword-and-sorcery epic that features an actual costume from TROLL 2 being worn by the character Grindel the Sorcerer. In fact, for this reason alone, the film was re-titled TROLL 3: THE SWORD OF POWER by its German distributor. This is also part of Italy’s successful ATOR, THE FIGHTING EAGLE series.
(Dir. Claudio Fragasso a.k.a. “Clyde Anderson”, 1990, 95 min, R)
- Outrageously unheard-of screening of TROLL 2 director Claudio Fragasso’s haunted mansion epic, also released as HOUSE 5…even though HOUSE IV wouldn’t come out until two years later! This film reunited the Italian filmmaker with young TROLL 2 star Michael Stephenson, and creates an air of bizarre, unfathomable terror. No, really.
…in addition, we’ll be having several screenings of TROLL 2-related films made by and for fans of the film
TROLL 2 PANELS
- Filmmakers panel: Writer/director Claudio Fragasso and co-writer Rosella Drudi unveil some of the mysteries behind the making of TROLL 2.
- Cast panel: The entire cast of TROLL 2 will appear to answer any and all questions about the Best Worst Movie of all time. Ever wonder what was in the Nilbog milk container? How did Holly perfect that incredible dance? All will be revealed at this historic summit!
- BEST WORST MOVIE panel and preview!: The makers of the ultimate TROLL 2 documentary BEST WORST MOVIE (who also happen to include T2 cast members Michael Stephenson and George Hardy) will talk about their globe-spanning adventures in exposing the TROLL 2 infection, and also show us some premiere peeks at the coming film!
NILBOG FEAST – Nationally renowned chef John Bullington will be flying out to prepare an epic TROLL 2 feast unlike anything ever seen in or outside of Nilbog! Expect delicacies from the magical goblin world, some vegetarian delights, a sampling of forbidden meats, plenty of GREEN and the most memorable dining experience you’ll have in your lifetime!
GOBLIN TREATS – In addition to the fantastic feast, there will be an assortment of Nilbog’s finest culinary delights awaiting you throughout the weekend (and maybe even a triple-decker baloney sandwich or two!)
POPCORN EATING COMPETITION – We all know that kissing can lead to something else…an RV full of popcorn! So we’re going to have a mobile home’s worth of popcorn on hand to be devoured by some brave volunteers that have what it takes to devour the starch of romance! Watch as they fill their gullets with Creedence the Witch’s favorite snack!
COSTUME COMPETITION – Not all goblins are in disguise! So creatures, throw away your human form and attend NILBOG INVASION the way you were meant to be! Prizes and OFFICIAL TROLL COSTUMES will be awarded to the best dressed goblins, and dressing like Creedence, Sheriff Gene Freak or the Waits Family is every bit as magical. Show everyone how to step out on the town…Nilbog-style!
“DANCE AND EAT” PARTY – Nothing is more important to goblins than serious celebration, and the local welcome wagon will be on hand to make sure that everyone dances and eats like a true Nilbogian maniac! We’ll have music (including TROLL 2-themed bands!), mayhem and even some snacks from the Nilbog County Store! An unforgettable night of unabashed forest creature wildness, destined to go down in history!
JAVELIN TOSS COMPETITION hosted by Darren “Arnold” Ewing – Mister “Oh My Gaaaaaawwwdd!” himself will be on hand to referee the ultimate in goblin sports: javelin throwing! Do you have what it takes to land the spear in the Arnold effigy? Well step up, goblin warrior, and let it fly!
MOLOTOV COCKTAIL TOSS – If javelins aren’t your speed, why not take a tip from Grampa Seth and earn the gold medal in our probably-illegal Molotov Cocktail Toss? Competitors will wow the audience with a two-fisted display of glass-breaking, flame-blasting prowess!
DOUBLE DECKER BALONEY SANDWICH INTERNATIONAL EAT-OFF! – Look…if you want to keep evil goblins from devouring the entire human race, you’ve gotta start chowing down on some serious baloney...AND FAST! We’re gonna have six volunteers (including one lucky cast member!) on stage to devour a WORLD RECORD SETTING amount of double-decker baloney sandwiches while saving mankind from the goblin threat!!!
GUITAR HERO COMPETITION – You may not know that the video game Guitar Hero featured several rounds at Nilbog High School! Well, we’re bringing those six-stringed heroics to Nilbog proper in a guitar-shredding showdown that will leave no ears unsinged!
MICHAEL STEPHENSON - Joshua Waits
GEORGE HARDY - Father “Farmer” Waits
MARGO PREY – Mom Waits
CONNIE YOUNG – Holly Waits
JASON WRIGHT – Elliott Cooper
DARREN EWING - Arnold
JASON STEADMAN - Drew
DEBORAH REED – Creedence Leonore Gielgud the Witch
DON PACKARD – Nilbog Store Owner
ROBERT ORMSBY – Grandpa Seth
MIKE HAMILL – Preacher Bells
LANCE WILLIAMS – Mr. Presents
CHRISTINA REYNOLDS - Cindy
PATRICK GIBBS - Goblin
PAUL GIBBS - Goblin
STEVE HATCH – Goblin
Writer/director CLAUDIO FRAGASSO
Co-writer ROSELLA DRUDI
Best Worst Movie, The Alamo Drafthouse Cinema
Rue Morgue, Fangoria, Fantastic Fest
THIS ENTRY LAST UPDATED: 05/15/2010